Tuesday, 8 October 2013

JG G36C EBB AEG Add-ons

I was hoping to be able to go out and do a shooting test but finances and circumstances conspired against me unfortunately. So, instead, I am posting up this piece about the modifications and add-ons that I am currently undertaking on my G36c.

First of all, colour. You remember that nasty two-tone, well it's still about but I have bought some spare parts so that I can rectify this 'for display purposes'! ;)

I still have to get my hands on a SRC bright green stock - but there are
plenty out there. Incidentally, once I do get my UKARA I am pretty sure
I can make a profit reselling these on eBay again!

Basically I bought some cheap second hand SRC two-tone G36c parts off eBay (I got the hand-guard for just 99p) and these will keep my AEG kosher in line with the UKARA guidelines. Now 'for display' I have given the 'spare set' of G36C furnishings a couple of coats of Olive Drab Krylon.

I know, what palaver. But it sort of keeps me feeling reasonably righteous (even if technically I am still in the wrong as - according to the letter of the 'law' - as soon as I put the none-bright parts on I am reverting the AEG into a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm).  Suffice to say that most of the time - or until I get my UKARA again - my G36C will be dressed in its two-tones (in case anyone slightly official is reading this)!

Anyhoo...Onto more enjoyable things...



In 'display mode' my G36C now looks like this (see above) - I haven't gone completely mad with add-ons and modifications as I wanted to keep the whole unit light-weight (so no metal RIS). I went with the OD two-tone effect because I saw one like it online and really liked the look, it's not authentic but now matches my OD and black G3A3.

The principal modifications - or should I say most practical improvements - are; the fitting of a Laylax Hand-guard locking pin, the G&P rubber pistol grip sleeve and the MAGPUL P-MAG mid-cap mag.

Of all these the Laylax pin is the most important. You might remember that in my initial review of my new JG G36c I criticised the hand-guid pin as being a flimsy item that was likely to just drop out in use. Well the Laylax pin is an improved design that incorporates a spring and a articulated catch to prevent such an accident...


The pin head can be swivelled to allow insertion and then swivelled out to lock once pushed through the hand-guard hole. The spring gives the whole thing tension and keeps the pin from jiggling free, I also find it keeps the hand-guard wobble-free too. It's not cheap at £16 from Zero One, but gives me peace of mind.

Talking of the front hand-guard, I did pick up a cheap CYMA replacement front end on eBay. It's a Chinese clone of the Laylax enlarged hand-guard which is designed to accommodate a larger battery. Unlike the Laylax version my cheapy CYMA clone did not cost me anything like £60 though!



I need to do some Dremmeling to the rear fitting slots to make it fit, but that's not a big job. I'm just unsure whether I feel I really need that extra battery capacity, I suppose I thought it was a good option to have and it was going for peanuts.

Next there is the G&P pistol grip sleeve. I found the design of the G36 pistol grip a little disappointing, not up to the ergonomics of the rest of the H&K design. There are not finger grooves for a positive grip and the the grip is not stippled or diamond-checked either.


The sleeve is rubber and based on a Hogue design. It simply pulls over the original pistol grip like a rubber band and gives you some additional grip and comfy finger grooves.

I also bought a Magpul P-Mag mid-cap magazine, just to give my G-36c some pizzaz! Now I'm not a big Magpul fan-boy but I had read quite a lot of good things about the reliability of this mags feed. It's expensive at £25 a pop, so I just got one to evaluate and while I haven't shot with it I can say it certainly feels very solid (unlike cheap plasticy MAG magazines). BUT the fit in the JG isn't exact and there is some wobble, so the jury is still out on this.

Onto the more 'dressy up' add-ons and I knew I wanted to fit a vertical grip as a priority. But I think my ASG ergonomic grip is a little on the long side, so I sent off for a stubby grip and one of those new trendy 'Gas Peddle' thumb rests...


It does appear - in theory - to be a very comfortable set-up but due to the terrible over-sized JG front rails I mentioned in my initial report I was unable to fit either of these accessories! To do so I will have to order a new better quality - and more accurately designed - set of G36C front rails (Guarder do a set).


So, in the meantime I have had to revert to my long ASG vertical grip. At least my lovely BE Meyer 'Black Out' replica flash hider fitted nicely. This is one of my favourite flash hider designs and I have the 7.62mm version on my SA-58. Made of steel by King Arms it is a hefty replica and this is the 14mm anti-clockwise fitting '5.56mm' version.

So, finally, we come to the obligatory optical sight - after all, there is a top rail on the G36C!


There are two parts to my sighting system - the mini red dot and the raised rail attachment. The raiser is a lovely UTG 'see through' sight attachment that allows me to make use of the G36's iron sights which giving me a little extra height for my red dot line of sight.

The red dot is just a cheap Chinese clone of a 'Doctor' mini-sight which was really intended for use with my Glock pistol. But the very small size made me think that this was just what I needed for my 'shorty' G36C as it's weight is negligible.

Well, that's it really - oh, except to say that I have a nice Viper one-piece bungy sling for this AEG. So, hopefully next month I will be able to get out and chrono this AEG and report on it's power, accuracy and - most intriguingly - the electric blow back!

1 comment:

  1. verry nice! ;) i have my self one of the early model airsoft g36c's, it's in kinda bad condition but i'm refurbishing it and working on trying to make it as lightweight as possible to turn it into the most unnecessarily over sized sidearms on the field... xD

    ReplyDelete